Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I Love Top 10 Book Lists. Here's Mine.


For people that love books -- well, for me, at least, there's something about having someone compile a list of books they loved that is just so -- what's the word -- juicy.
I feel like just diving in, seeing if there are any that I've read also -- "Yes, I agree! That was great! It touched me too!" I don't have to know you, or even know who you are. You don't have to be an expert, or a publiched author, although I must admit I love when writers compile lists. With 8 gajillion books (or so) that have been written (so far), there are always books that I've never heard of, or haven't read yet, so if this is the twentieth time I've seen it on a list, I say, "maybe it's time to go for that one." Before it's too late (if you know what I mean).
And I love having my own book list. Well, it's a necessity, actually, because when someone asks me what books I've loved, I can't remember. Seriously. I forget. I swear, a book could have changed my life, or at least my view of the world, or made my cry or laugh out loud, and the minute I'm finished (OK, maybe within an hour), I forget the title, the plot, the subject matter. I swear this is true.
So here's my list, in no particular order (or degree of like, or date published or read). There is fiction and non-fiction, short stories and memoirs. You may notice there are no "classics" -- I'm always thinking I have to get back to those, but somehow I never do, so call me superficial, but these are all very, very good books. And they've all changed my life. Which makes them classics to me.
Crossing to Safety Wallace Stegner
Everything that needs to be said about marriage and friendship.
Bird by Bird Anne Lamott
If Anne Lamott knew how often I use the lesson from the title essay in my own life and in my parenting with her voice is in my head she would charge me rent.
Darkness Visible William Styron
Without a doubt the best (and shortest) description of depression ever written.
Middlesex Jeffrey Eugenides
Brilliant writing about a very strange, and strangely compelling, subject.
Sophie's Choice William Styron
If you haven't read this, don't see the movie first. Read this brilliance. How did Styron know what it's like to be a mother? Genius.
Bodies in Motion and at Rest Thomas Lynch
Essays about death written by an undertaker (I kid you not) that are surprisingly uplifting.
High Fidelity Nick Hornby
Admittedly a lighter read, but Hornby's skill with the "top 5 list" thing is the key to my reading heart. Funny, smart, and sweet.
Freedom Jonathan Franzen
Marriage, friendship, pop culture, parenting, politics, environment, education, relationships. I'm not done processing it all, but trust me. It's rich and full and compelling and there is no way I understand how someone can be this gifted of a writer.
Stories Raymond Carver
Anyone that reads or writes short stories must read this. I'm sure you have. Carver was a master.
Rules for Old Men Waiting Peter Pouncey
On love and loss -- what else is there? 

No comments:

Post a Comment